Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Tiki Power

I don't know if it was the honey in the heart, or the holding in the light, or getting medieval, or the 4 steps fury, or the wheelsqueaking, or all the support and advice or the just plain showing up because it's all you can think to do. Maybe it was the Tiki Power...

photo

Any of those could be responsible for the great news we have today. But I think a lot of the credit has to go to the chemo. But I'm getting ahead of myself - I'm burying the lede.

Here's the email I got from C this morning, after his post-MRI meet-up with Dr. C:

"Nurse says "very impressive results" !!! Chow says he's shown this to Pezner and the surgical team and the opinion is no surgery needed!!! Tumor almost gone - see left side of pic attached. No irinotecan, VAC friday morning. Start radiation w/irino in a few weeks..."

I teared up. I couldn't believe it. This is huge news. No surgery. Beyond anything any of us even considered as a possibility. A massive gift. Here are the images from the MRI. The one on the right is from before chemo started, the one on the left is from yesterday.

IMG00054-20100708-1047

Look at the image on the right. You see the two eyes. Between them you see the big, gray mass. That is a sinus-filling rhabdomyosarcoma tumor. Now look in the same spot in the image on the left. That is pure joy.

This is a moment to take in, to appreciate, to revel in. To whatever degree you have felt concern for C's situation, you can now enjoy the surging euphoria of a blast of unexpected great news. We are all so happy.

I'll save the "this fight is not over" talk for another time. We know that. But today is a great day. A day to enjoy. Tomorrow instead of another round of irinotecan (The Beast) he'll instead get another round of VAC (vincristine, dactomycin & cyclophosphamide) which is itself horrid. But he'll head into that with a great sense of purpose. These miracle drugs are working. The suffering is worth it. He's ready to fight. As a friend said once in reference to the persistence required in a nasty legal case, "You just need to keep your foot on their neck 'til they stop kicking." That's what we'll do.


Today is a good day to post a few recent tags. Tags from friends and supporters out there in the world, living life, reminders of all the exploration and adventure that C can get back to when this battle is won. We know it can happen. Here's one from Lukas on the road in his Rover:

L1060006

Here's one from Mark overseas:

photo


And here's Kenzie and Mom in Rossmoor:

photo


Thanks to everyone for your support. We're filled with joy. Filled with gratitude. Filled with hope. C can ride this gift for a good, long while. We'll keep our foot on this thing's neck 'til it stops kicking.

We're feeling the power. Tiki Power!

14 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!!!!
    Awesome..... So happy to get the news.
    What a great day!
    Cheers
    Jon C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A huge dosage of GREAT news!
    Loved hearing this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add to the miracle cure list the magic, handcrafted mojitos at the Horner's over 4th of July. There was more than a little mojo working in those things!

    Sweet honey, love + light, THANK YOU UNIVERSE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's it! the mojitos! maybe we can add those to his IV today. just to be on the safe side...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent idea! I believe it has been scientifically proven that rum is the #2 cure (second only to tequila) for when you got it bad ... the healin' hurts so good (til the next morning anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim, I've never met your brother — heck, I've never even met you, for that matter — but he's been in my prayers. Thanks for sharing the great news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jim - amazing and wonderful news. Those pics are amazing, of Charlie's insides. I don't think I ever met Charlie either. Do I know the Mark in the photo you posted? He looks so familiar. Thanks for the posting. LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiki? Maybe!...but I think its all the people praying and Charlie's incredible will to get that freakin' tumor out of his body. Chemo was the hammer that drove in that nail but, if you ask me, God's hand was doing the heavy swinging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy! it took me a few seconds to realize I'm crying! I'm so happy for all of you! Honey in the <3!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing. I am so happy for all of you. Tears here too. Kick that cancer's ass, Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such wonderful news - I send all of you big hugs of joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredible, fantabulous news! I'd say this calls for champagne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely fantastic news!!! Tiki power!!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work by jhaygood is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.